The Exo Terra Tropical Forest Floor Substrate is a 100% natural, multi-layered substrate that resembles the forest floor found in natural tropical forests. It keeps the soil soft and moist, providing a hiding place for your animals. Additionally, it serves as a nutritional substrate for live plants, making it ideal for natural terrarium setups. This heat-treated substrate is made from sustainable resources and can be safely composted.
The top layer of this substrate is primarily composed of mosses and lichens, consisting of sun-dried natural green moss from a sustainable resource. This decorative layer allows you to create a soft floor covering for your animals to burrow and hide, while also covering the actual substrate underneath to retain moisture and prevent the soil from drying out. Most reptiles and amphibians forage the forest floor in search of food and water, and the top layer provides a natural environment for them to thrive. The biodegradable moss is chemical-free and can be safely composted in your garden.
The base layer of the Exo Terra Tropical Forest Floor Substrate consists of rich organic matter from sustainable ground coconut husk fiber. This 100% natural and biodegradable substrate has great hygroscopic properties and is ideal for creating natural planted terrarium setups for humidity-loving reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates. Its water retention, natural rooting hormones, and anti-fungal properties promote plant growth in your terrarium. The unique coir pith used in this base layer consists of a mixture of short fiber and coco-peat grain sizes, resulting in improved soil drainage and healthy plant root aeration.
The top layer of sun-dried natural green moss keeps the base layer slightly moist, facilitating maintenance by functioning as a natural ecosystem where beneficial organisms break down waste products and reduce odors. The Exo Terra Tropical Forest Floor Substrate is heat-treated to reduce bacterial contamination, ensuring a clean and healthy environment for your animals.
- 100% Natural
- Multi layer substrate
- Resembles natural forest floor
- Keeps soil soft and moist
- Allows your animals to hide
- Nutritional substrate for live plants
- Ideal for natural terrarium set-ups
- Heat-treated and odor absorbing
- Made from a sustainable resource
- Can safely be composted
- Spread 2-4” (5-10 cm) of the base layer on the terrarium floor.
- Water or mist the substrate according to the humidity level required.
- Place your decorative items in the terrarium, then cover the floor with the top layer of decorative natural green moss.
- Use an Exo Terra Hygrometer to monitor the level.
- To increase air humidity in well-ventilated terrariums or those with very high humidity requirements, place an Exo Terra terrarium substrate heater underneath the terrarium.
- Spot clean the bedding on a daily basis, and completely replace with new bedding when necessary.
Size: 8 quarts (2QT (2,2L) Green Moss & 6QT (6,6L) Coconut Husk Fiber)