Exo Terra Equatorial Forest Floor is a multi layer substrate that allows you to recreate the forest floor as found in natural equatorial forests. The forest floor is one of the most distinctive features of the equatorial forest ecosystem. It usually consists of two major layers;
- The top layer mainly consisting of fresh leaf litter
- The base layer consists of rich organic matter – usually decomposed leaves & wood
Exo Terra Equatorial Forest Floor comprises a top layer of sun dried decorative Ardisia leaves from a sustainable resource, resembling the soft floor covering found in natural equatorial forests. The Ardisia leaves provide a soft layer for animals to burrow and hide. The top layer covers the actual substrate underneath to facilitate its moisture retention and prevent the soil from drying out. These biodegradable Ardisia leaves are free of chemicals and can be safely composted in your garden.
The base layer is made of rich organic matter from sustainable ground coconut husk fiber, a 100% natural, ecological, and biodegradable substrate with great hygroscopic properties. It makes an ideal substrate to create natural planted terrarium set-ups for humidity-loving reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates. Its water retention, natural rooting hormones, and anti-fungal properties promote plant growth in your terrarium. The unique coir pith used for the Exo Terra Equatorial Forest Floor consists of a mixture of short fiber and coco-peat grain sizes ranging from coarse granules to fine clumps resulting in improved soil drainage and healthy plant root aeration.
The top layer of Ardisia leaves keeps the base layer slightly moist, functioning as a natural ecosystem where beneficial organisms will break down waste products and reduce odors.
Exo Terra Equatorial Forest Floor is heat-treated to reduce bacterial contamination. To use, spread 2-4” (5-10 cm) of the base layer on the terrarium floor, water or mist the substrate according to the humidity level required, place your decorative items in the terrarium, then cover the floor with the top layer of decorative natural green moss. Use an Exo Terra Hygrometer to monitor the level. To increase air humidity in well-ventilated terrariums or those with very high humidity requirements, place an Exo Terra terrarium substrate heater underneath the terrarium. Spot clean the bedding on a daily basis, and completely replace with new bedding when necessary.
- 100% Natural
- Multi layer substrate
- Resembles natural forest floor
- Keeps soil soft and moist
- Allows your animals to hide
- Nutritional substrate for live plants
- Ideal for natural terrarium set-ups
- Heat-treated and odor absorbing
- Made from a sustainable resource
- Can safely be composted
- Spread 2-4” (5-10 cm) of the base layer on the terrarium floor.
- Water or mist the substrate according to the humidity level required.
- Place your decorative items in the terrarium.
- Cover the floor with the top layer of decorative Ardisia leaves.
- Use an Exo Terra Hygrometer to monitor the humidity level.
- To increase air humidity in well-ventilated terrariums or those with very high humidity requirements, place an Exo Terra terrarium substrate heater underneath the terrarium.
- Spot clean the bedding on a daily basis.
- Completely replace with new bedding when necessary.
Size: 4 quarts (1QT (1,1L) Ardisia leaves & 3QT (3,3L) Coconut Husk Fiber)